Sunday, December 7, 2008

Chree-stmas Chree-stmas ti-eem is here...

We once again upheld the tradition of the gingerbread house. I had to convince Daylen that we don't need to do it exactly how it is on the box because he was frustrated with Addi's candy placement. He finally relaxed when I said, "Daylen, it's like you're an artist. Just do what looks good; you don't have to copy." He thought about it and smiled so sweetly and said, "You're right Mom." He has a knack for saying those perfect-child phrases.


I also picked up some stuff at the craft store so we could decorate our own ornaments. I thought it'd be a good gift for the sweet little elderly women who are our neighbors, because they always give the kids such sweet gifts. And they'll have their school pictures inside so it will be extra cool. Of coarse we made several that will go on our tree.
On a whim I decided to make whipped cream snowmen on top of their chocolate mousse and Addi helped me put on the chocolate chip eyes and buttons. The hair she did herself. (: The funny thing about this particular hairstyle is that she only does it that way at home, and if we go anywhere she runs and takes all the clippies out all on her own, as if on some level she knows how it looks.
And here is the writer's board I just made in my bedroom. I've already added to it, but you get the idea. It really is helping me keep the plot of my novel straight, since it's gotten kind of complicated. Also, it helps me when I've got writer's block cuz I can just write a scene around one of the cards.

Daylen's birthday turned out great. I'd post pictures, but I took them with Jim's camera, which we think might be broken. I'll post them when I get 'em. Jim had the kids for the weekend so we had the party over at his place and I just brought over the presents. I made a German chocolate cake and we had sparkler candles, which we had to light with the pilot light! I got him two "bladestars," which were ridiculously pricey so Russell helped me buy them. And the other big present was from Jim, a backugon arena and figures. Jim also picked him up several small toys as they shopped. Basically whenever Daylen said, "Can I have this?" Jim said yes, which I think is a pretty cool birthday tradition! I got him a pokemon game and his friends brought him presents too. I thought it ended up being a really cool birthday and he got everything he'd asked for. I think I'm definitely one of those parents who tries to compensate for the divorce by trying to make everything else perfect. I'm not sure if I should change that or not though! Opinions welcome!

Love!
Jewelsee

5 comments:

Trisha said...

You are such a cool mom!! You do way fun things with your kids!
I'm glad I get to read blogs about your kids, I have really been missing them. Surprisingly Kaya still remembers Addi!
Do we get any hints about your story plot?
What did you do to mom's picture? It looks REALLY awesome, tell me so I can duplicate it!

jenness123 said...

Trisha is so right. You are a VERY cool mom.

I love Addie's hair that way. She looks like a little princess.

Sheri said...

That looks like tons of fun! I admit, I didn't know what any of those toys were that you got for Daylen, but that's cause I'm out of the toy-loop.

Addi's hair cracked me up. Serious cracking over here. Love it, Addi!

Happy Birthday Daylen!

Susan W. said...

Gingerbread houses are such a COOL tradition. We used to do it sometimes, but I never knew it was such a big deal to y'all. I wanna see the finished house!Including the dialogue really made me feel as if I were there.

Ornaments, too? yeah, what a supermom. And I love the snowmen! heehee!

And tell Addi that the clippies look like a dress-up crown. I think she knows that, too!

And I'm impressed with the writer's board. Never heard of it, but it looks REALLY cool and intelligent, and I'll just pretend that I knew about such things all along.

Um, put in your book dedication that your mom was your inspiration. For any GOOD stuff, that is. Never mind.

And as far as your trying tomake the kids' lives perfect, that was never any different, before or now.

I love you. Tell Day again Happy Birthday from me! So proud of you and your sweet little family!

Susan W. said...

Hey, is there any way to fix your main blog page to show the whole song title and artist, so I can know with my brain what I'm listening to? Fun songs! I'd like to know about them and their albums, to explore... Hmmmm?